Pre-planning or pre-arranging a funeral or cremation is usually done for two main reasons:
1. To help your survivors.
- The task of planning a funeral may fall to survivors who have little or no warning and may be unprepared to plan a funeral.
- Discussing your wishes with family is essential as it affects them most directly.
- Funerals are for the living. Leave your requests flexible to allow your survivors to plan a funeral that best meets their emotional needs.
- There are no shortcuts to grief. A meaningful, personalized funeral or memorial service will be an important occasion for the family to share memories and begin the grief process.
2. To pre-fund your funeral.
- Avoids financial expense to family members at time of the funeral.
- A pre-funded funeral plan may be exempt from Medical Assistance asset limitations. Many options are available.
- The two most common plans are:
- Irrevocable Insurance Policy
- Irrevocable Bank Trust (Certificate of Deposit)
- Funerals can be partially or fully pre-funded through life insurance or funeral trusts.
Each person’s situation is individual and unique. To determine what options best suit your needs, call us in Mora at: 320-679-1933 or in Braham at: 320-396-2121, and make an appointment to discuss pre-arrangement.
Katy Hamilton, Licensed Funeral Director, MN Insurance Agent. Katy works with our firm as a funeral director and also assists families with pre-planning and pre-funding their funeral or cremation service. She has helped many families through the pre-planning and funeral process.
Helpful hint: Before you come in for an appointment to make pre-arrangements, make a list of your questions and concerns. We will go over your questions with you and make sure that each question is answered satisfactorily.